It is not clear when exactly the guesthouse was constructed. There is only a mention of the year 1567 on the first floor of the original building.
The Old Town chronicle described it as a "Paving stone dwelling with trade authority, together with a wine tavern". Its original name was Guesthouse Neuwirt. Later, Coloman Berka, as token of his great admiration for General Feldmarschal Paul von Hindenburg, renamed it to “Die Hindenburg”.
Over the years, the guesthouse had various owners and tenants: Georg Grasberger in 1920, Maria König in 1932 and Leopold Reischenböck in 1956, but through this entire time it managed to keep its name.
The guesthouse is owned by the Mair family since 1991. In 1992, 2001 and 2005 the hotel underwent construction and renovation works which managed to combine the charm of the historical building with modern day architecture.
The largest renovation tool place in spring of 2017 when the hotel and restaurant were separated. Additionally, a shopping mall was added to the ground floor to include many, various shops. The restaurant extends onto the first floor with a winter garden which serves as a breakfast area for the hotel guests. All rooms are renovated, partly converted into apartments. There is also a sauna over the roofs of Saalfelden. The owners are very determined to renovate the guesthouse in a contemporary style so as to meet the criteria for 4* accommodation. We are all looking forward to the "NEW HINDENBURG"